Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Who don't I have to love?


Do you remember your neighbors when you were  a kid?  I do.  I remember every fence I could climb over without worry.  I remember who not to bother.  I remember what houses I could walk into without knocking.  Those days are long gone. 

I have been thinking recently about neighbors, and what it means to be a neighbor.  Not only a local neighbor, but a global neighbor.  Living in Arizona, bordering Mexico, we are daily facing the question of what it means to be a neighbor.  I can't help but wonder how are we doing as a neighbor.   

The questions about what it means to be a neighbor and be a good neighbor are not new.  When Jesus was asked this question, those asking were essentially asking, "Who don't I have to love?"  After all, Jesus had commanded "love your neighbor."  It's the natural question isn't it.  Ok then, if I am to love my neighbor, who exactly are we talking about here?  Because if you can identify for me, who is and who is not my neighbor that will give us clarity as to who exactly we have to love.  And Jesus, if you will tell us who exactly these neighbors are, that will bring us great relief.  

Jesus replied with a story, we call it the story of the Good Samaritan.  

If you don't know it the story is about a man, presumably a Jewish man who was traveling on a road and was mugged, robbed, and  beaten.  As he lay on the side of the road, literally left for dead some people came by.  First a priest.  Not wanting to be bothered, the priest literally went out of his way, across the road to avoid being near the victimized man.  

The second person, a Levite, or a temple assistant, did the same thing.  

But then a Samaritan came along.  This doesn't appear to be any better news for the dying man. Samaritans and Jews hated each other.  This hate was rooted in religious and cultural differences.  The Samaritan however surprises us and cares for the man, puts him in his car (okay on the back of his donkey) takes him to a hotel, pays in advance and vows to return and pay for more incurred costs.  

In closing the story, Jesus asks, "Which of the three was neighborly?" 

That's the story.  .. . . . .Jesus says go and do likewise?  

This does nothing more than raise more questions for me. . .. I do not have the answers.  

But consider.  

Who is my neighbor?  Who do I have to love and not love?  

Who are those so different from us, culturally, religiously, or otherwise to which we have failed to extend mercy and grace? 

No comments: