Thursday, March 19, 2009

Head on collision


It is interesting how live converges sometimes, how conversations, circumstances and events collide. Two such events hit head on yesterday in my life.
 
My lunch appointment yesterday was a long overdue one. I met with my friend and mentor Dr. Kelly Bender, Sr. Pastor of Paradise Valley UMC. Kelly is someone I respect and have the highest regard for. I always find myself either with hand-written or a mental list of things I want to discuss with Kelly because the time with him is so valuable. Over the past 8 years or so that we have met, we find ourselves often talking about leadership, church polity, and in our meeting yesterday, our culture of affluence. We discussed Walter Bruggeman's contention that consumerism more than a result of marketing strategy. Consumerism is a "demonic spiritual force" that has a hold on our culture, and the question for us does the gospel have the power to help us withstand it. Wow! This was published by Bruggeman and Old Testament scholar 10 years ago.

For dinner my wife and I met with our friends Michael and Christina Bernardino. Michael and Christina are educators in the public school system and they themselves, are enough reason for me to believe in the public schools. I can't say enough good about them. Our conversation, also touched on the culture of affluence and how it impacts our young people. Christina who has taught Spanish at a High School in suburban Phoenix, AZ shared this story with me.
When asked what their favorite holiday was, her Spanish speaking students, many first and second generation Arizonans answered, "Mother's day." Second, they said, "Father's day." Her English speaking American students when asked their favorite holiday responded, "Christmas." Secondly they responded, "Birthday."

Perhaps Bruggeman is right, that consumerism is a demonic spiritual force. As such it would seem his demonic spiritual force has a pretty firm grasp of our young people. What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

Chuck said...

Scary, but likely.

btw, I believe in many of the wonderful teachers in the public schools. They keep the system functional - provide light in the darkness. But I don't believe in the system. Bruggeman might characterize it too as a demonic force.