Friday, January 16, 2009

You are God's masterpiece!!!

Recently my 10 year old came to me and asked me about her name. Her name is Kallie, short for Kalenda.

She was learning about names and wondered about her own name, what it meant and what were the implications. She came to concerned because somewhere on the internet she looked up her name and found that it meant "Art." Actually I found that it means beautiful or lovely. I have to confess I didn't know what it meant when we named her, but she has grown into her name quite well.

Her concern came as she processed what her name implied for her. She had been learning about naming and that in Jewish culture your name is reflective of your character. The last thing she wanted to be was a piece of art, a statue, or a motionless thing hanging on a wall. I held back my laughter! It makes me chuckle still, but really she was pretty upset.

I paused and told her, but you are Art. That was the last thing she wanted to hear. But you are I insisted. "Do you know what art is?" I asked her. It is an expression of the creators heart! We have art in our home from people in our church and as I look at it I see the hearts of those fine people. As I look at my daughter, I see a piece of the heart of our creator.

I have to wonder, are not each of us, God's masterpiece? A work of art! Beautiful, lovely, an expression of the creator's heart?

No comments: